Wednesday, December 30, 2015

DIY Baby Rocker!!!


If I were looking at 10 chairs there is no doubt in my mind I would fall in love with the most expensive one.  Every. Single. Time.  Definitely not one of my best traits...  When I started planning Little Man's Room I knew I wanted an upholstered chair but I had two problems; price and size.  I had a budget in mind for the nursery and most of the chairs I wanted were more than the ENTIRE budget!!!  Heck to the no.  Our house was build in the 1960's so the guestrooms are pretty tiny which doesn't work with all the massive {and beautiful} rockers I wanted.  

Way before I was pregnant I saw {this tutorial} from Heather Jansen's blog.  She swore it was an easy DIY and lasted through multiple babies so I was all for it.  The first challenge was finding the chair on sale.  Originally the chair is $229 but I wanted it for less than that.  I stalked the as-is section of Ikea for a month, but it wasn't until my good friend Jill came in town that I found one.  She is my go to decorator friend.  :)  The chair was only $125!!!


The slipcover is removable and washable so I had no issue buying the floor model.  Also while Jill was in town we went on a LITTLE hike {Manitou Springs Incline} and I thought I was already showing...


Such a rookie and so delusional...

First things first, Tall Tan Man and I prepped the chair.  This was not a super easy task because they legs were molly-bolted into the base.  Thankfully I am married to a strong and beefy man and he took care of that issue.  :)  I removed the bottom piece of fabric. 


Next we cut a 3/4 in piece of plywood to fit the bottom of the chair.  I screwed this into the left and right sides of the base of the chair.   



Up next was finding the center of the base of the chair to put the rocking mechanism on.   Just use a ruler and little math :)
 


We bought {this rocker mechanism} from Amazon after my original idea blew up in my face.  Just FYI I ended up moving the rocker more towards the front to get a better rock!




 We had this chair sitting in storage just waiting to go to Goodwill when I thought "I'll just remove the rocking mechanism."  If I was a welder then I might of been able to use the base... Let me just say I got a blood blister and now I can't figure out how to put the chair back together to send it to Goodwill... 


This chair turned out to be such an easy DIY minus the hours I spent trying to use the other chair.  The only real downside to this chair its size.  I know I wanted a smaller chair for the room and I fit fine in the chair... but Tall Tan Man {all 6 foot 6 of him} does not fit great :( Our pouf is from Land of Nod and I love it!  I have a navy pillow I want to get monogrammed to put on the chair but we still don't have a name...

Ryder... Mack... Easton...

...

I hope y'all have a wonderful New Years Eve!

{Leslie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...